Sunday, December 11, 2005

Where is the ACLU?

Howard Weyers fires employees who smoke....after hours...in the privacy of their own home. He claims "smokers run up higher medical costs and are less healthy in general." Last I knew, smoking cigarettes in your own home wasn't illegal. Nor do I believe it affects your ability to do a job. What about people who are lazy and don't exercise? obese? have a family history of heart disease or high cholesterol or any other inherited health risk? Aren't they also "less healthy in general?" And if there are "20 states that allow employers to fire anyone as long as they don't violate discrimination laws for things like age, gender, race or disabilities" what's to stop an employer from firing someone because they're ugly? Or have different political beliefs? I'f I'm a Libertarian and I own a business, can I fire an employee for being a Democrat? I bet the American Criminal Liberties Union would be all over that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin McKague said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home